vertical_align_top

Lichfield, New Zealand

Rural settlement in the Waikato Region in New Zealand
favorite
menu
add

Lichfield is a rural settlement in the South Waikato District and Waikato region of New Zealand's North Island.

The community is centred around the Lichfield Fonterra facility, which opened in 1995. The factory features the largest cheese factory in the southern hemisphere, consisting of separate dry salt and brine salt plants. It also features the largest milk dryer in the world, installed during a major expansion in 2016. The dryer can process 30 metric tonnes of milk every hour, and store 40,000 metric tonnes of whole milk powder. The dryer is used during the peak season, with production varying based on prices. The Fonterra site employs 330 people, with extra staff being stationed there during installations. Almost 90% of the output travels by rail from a covered siding at the factory.

The local Lichfields Lands farm converted from sheep to dairy and beef farming in the 1960s. It is now an Open Brethren operation, donating its proceeds to charity.

South African-born artist Sonnett Olls opened an art gallery in Lichfield in 2019.

A Red Cross health shuttle transports Lichfield residents to health appointments in Tīrau.

History

edit

In 1884 Lichfield was planned as a city of 8,000 people, on over 700 lots, at the centre of 80,000 ha (200,000 acres), purchased from Ngāti Raukawa by the speculative Patetere Land Association. In 1882, at a time when the Rotorua railway was planned to pass through Lichfield, they formed a company in London to encourage settlers and construction of the 67.28 km (41.81 mi) railway link from Morrinsville began the same year. The attempt failed. Another was made to sell lots for a town in 1905.

Education

edit

Lichfield School is a co-educational state primary school, with a roll of 95 as of November 2024.

Railway

edit

Railway station

edit

Lichfield railway station opened in 1886, closed on 1 March 1897, was reopened by Taupo Totara Timber Company in September 1905, closed on 26 October 1944, reopened on 12 June 1950, and closed on 6 August 1978, but the Kinleith Branch continues to carry freight.

Work on the extension from Oxford (Tīrau) to Lichfield started in 1883. The Thames Valley and Rotorua Railway directors inspected the route and stayed at Lichfield in October 1883. The line reached Oxford (Tīrau) on 8 March 1886 and was extended to Lichfield on Monday 21 June 1886. New Zealand Railways Department (NZR) took over the line on 1 April 1886.

By August 1886 there were 2 cottages, a 60 ft (18 m) by 20 ft (6.1 m) engine shed, coal shed (23ft x 15ft, 50 ton capacity), brick water tower (see below), urinals, 60 ft (18 m) by 30 ft (9.1 m) goods shed and stationmaster's house. From 1886 to 1892 there was a Post Office at the station. By 1892 traffic to and from Lichfield had fallen off rapidly, with opening of part of the Rotorua line. From 17 September 1892 Lichfield was demoted to a flag station, though it still had a 4th class station, platform, cart approach, goods shed, cattle yards and urinals in 1896.

The line was lifted in 1898, leaving only the earthworks.

Taupo Totara Timber Company Railway

edit

In the early 1900s the Taupo Totara Timber Company (TTT) acquired bush blocks north and north-west of Lake Taupō and erected a sawmill at Mokai. The company built a 51 miles (82 km) railway between Mokai and Putāruru, where it connected with the NZ Government Railway.The 8 kilometres (5.0 mi) northern section between Putāruru and Lichfield was built on the formation of the former Lichfield Branch line.

The TTT railway opened in 1905 as a private carrier, carrying TTT staff and their families, guests, freight, and mail between Putāruru and Mokai. From January 29, 1908, the TTT Railway opened its freight and passenger services to the public.

New Zealand Railways Kinleith Branch

edit

The NZ Government purchased a 19 miles (31 km) section of the TTT Railway, from Putāruru to the "19-Mile Peg", near the present-day location of the Kinleith Paper Mill south of Tokoroa. From Tuesday, 10 June 1947, the NZ Government took over the operation of this part of the TTT line.

This section of railway was reconstructed under a NZ Government scheme for development of the Waikato River basin and surrounding areas. The project was completed on 6 October 1952.

By 1949 Lichfield was again a terminus of the line, with a shelter shed (16ft x 10ft), a (20ft x 16ft) prefabricated army building from Claudelands, used as temporary office accommodation, and a passing loop for 64 wagons.

There was again speculation that Lichfield would grow and, from Monday 12 June 1950, the station reopened for parcels and goods. A 30 ft (9.1 m) by 12 ft (3.7 m) goods shed, with verandah, was moved from Karangahake to Lichfield and a 40 ft (12 m) long loading bank, with ramped ends, was built. The tramway to the south was straightened and by 12 November 1951 the line was sufficiently ballasted to allow trains to run at 15 mph (24 km/h). The offices were then moved to Tokoroa.

In 1959 the gent's convenience was in a bad state of repair and was removed. By 1960 the goods shed floor and weatherboards were decayed, the windows broken and the doors lying on the floor, so it was demolished. By 1970 the station was little used and it closed to all traffic from Sunday 6 August 1978. It was then used for the storage of wagons. A single track, loading bank, water tower and sheds remain.

Heritage

edit

Listed buildings

edit

Lichfield has four buildings with NZHPT Category II listing -

  • Listed on 5 September 1985 were - List Number 4235 - brick water tower, close to the Stone Store, was built at the station to store up to 6,000 imp gal (27,000 L) of water and deliver it to steam locomotives. It was pumped about 90 ch (1.8 km) and raised about 100 ft (30 m) from Ngutuwera Creek, with a Blake hydraulic ram. The water also supplied the township. The pipes have been removed, but a stone shed for the intake valves remains.
  • 4236 former Skimming Factory at 831 Lichfield Road was built of totara in 1910 for the NZ Dairy Association. It ran for three seasons until home separation was adopted. It was converted to a house in 1923.
  • 4237 - former Bakehouse and dairy at 12 Kinloch Rd, built of Hinuera stone in the 1880s. It is now derelict.
  • 2689 listed on 30 June 2006 - former Stone Store, probably built before 1886, was a shop in the grounds of the Lichfield Hotel. Poets Rex Fairburn and Ronald Mason lived there in 1927-28. It was built of Putāruru ignimbrite and was also used as a bank, a church and now a club room. It is at 6 Pepperill Road.
edit

Connected lists

expand_more
0
edit
add
No connected lists found.

Categories

expand_more
0
edit
add
helper: web search
No categories found.

Member of

expand_more
3
edit
add
helper: web search

Tags

expand_more
0
edit
add
helper: web search
No tags found.

Communities

expand_more
0
edit
add
helper: web search
No communities found.

Activity

expand_more
0
Community menu
Zenopy · about
terms of use · copyright · privacy
loaded in 0.12 secs
arrow_drop_down
photo_library